How your dog works!
An introduction to the Modern Dog
"Ann's knowledge and understanding of dogs is amazing! She is an excellent teacher and friend to all those she meets... of both the 2 and 4 legged variety!" - Felicity Grace
Course Info: Understanding of man's best friend has never been so exciting and enlightening. Just how much of their wolfish inheritance is present in our modern dog and why would we want to use that in our training methods? After all, they are a different species, not a wolf in disguise or a human in a furry coat! Should we expect them to ignore their natural instincts and understand how to live in our challenging world without suitable tuition and understanding? Dogs are often misunderstood in their reactions, which can lead to a total breakdown in their relationships with humans. If we take the time to understand how they learn and teach them an alternative way to behave with motivation, the result is a happy and cooperative relationship. Whether you are a pet or working dog owner, work with dogs or just interested in dogs, you will be equipped with a sound basic knowledge of this fascinating subject.
• Canine Psychology - how dogs learn and human/canine communication: fact and fiction
• Factors effecting behaviour and learning ability, including effects of genetics, environment, nutrition, and breed
• Common behaviour problems and solutions
• Effects of negative training methods and advantages of positive reinforcement training techniques
• Development of the modern dog